Lam is a Chemical Engineer graduated with a PhD course on "Integration of Renewable sources of Energy Into Energy Supply Chain". He has started his work in September 2007. He has enrolled into Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Maribor, for a Collaborative PhD Programme in September 2009. Prof Zdravko Kravanja is his Co-supervisor.
There have been considerable problems with fluctuating power output of wind energy, when not properly integrated. As an example serves a peak winter period when a sudden reduction of wind generation drained up the gas network main and jeopardized the whole energy supply system. For the reasons like this a proper integration of renewable sources, with the stress to Waste to Energy, and also energy storage, hydrogen and fuel cells options is an important part of Energy Management. It starts with an overview and study of existing ways of integrating renewables generally and on this base to study in details waste to energy renewables integation – including mirco, small and bigger resources.
- Process Control
- Modeling & Programming
- Multivariate Statistical Process Control
- Process Safety and Risk Assessment
- Renewable Energy and Waste to Energy
- Energy Supply Chain
Lam has experience as a researcher, lecturer and head ot teaching programme at Taylor's University College, (www.taylors.edu.my ) and INTI International University College, (www.intimal.edu.my). The subjects he taught include Chemical Reactors, Chemical Process Fundamentals, Fluid Mechanics, Mechanics of Materials, Manufacturing Process Control.
- Scientific Secretary for PRES 2008
- Guest Editors for the journal of ENREGY
- Scientific Secretary for PRES 2009
- Scientific Committee and Orgranising Committee for Summer Workshop 2009
- Scientific Secretary for PRES 2010
- Scientific Committee and Orgranising Committee for Summer School 2010
- Webmaster for CAPE Working Party 2010
- Klemeš J J, Varbanov P, Lam H L. Water Footprint, water recycling and Food Industry Supply Chain. Chapter. In: K Waldron (ed) Waste management and co-product recovery in food processing Vol 2, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, 2009, ISBN: 978 1 84569 391 6
- Klemeš J., Lam H. L., Foo D. C. Y., Water Recycling and Recovery in Food and Drink Processing. Chapter in: : K Waldron, G.K. Moates and C.B. Faulds (eds) , Total Food: Sustainability of the Agri-Food Chain, RSC Publishing, UK, 2010, ISBN:978 1 84755 750 6
- Lam H. L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J., Optimisation of regional energy supply chains including renewables: P-graph approach, Computers and Chemical Engineering 34 (2010) 782–792 [IF: 1. 755]
- Klemeš J. and Lam L. H., Heat Integration, Energy Efficiency, Saving and Security. Energy, 34 (10), 2009, 1669- 1673 doi:10.1016/j.energy.2009.08.001 [IF: 1.712]
- Lam H. L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J., Minimising Carbon Footprint of Regional Biomass Supply Chains, Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 2010, 54(5) 303-309 [IF = 1.270]
- Lam H. L., Klemeš J., Kravanja Z, , Varbanov P., Software Tools Overview: Process Integration, Modelling and Optimisation for Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction, Asia-Pacific Journal Chemical Engineering, (Accepted)
- Lam H. L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J., Regional Renewable Energy and Resource Planning, Applied Energy. (Accepted)
- Cucek L., Lam H.L, Klemeš J., Varbanov P., Kravanja Z,,Synthesis of regional networks for the production and supply of bioenergy and food, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy. (Submitted)
- Klemeš J., Lam H.L., Sikos L., Varbanov P., The role of structured media in improving the impact of education in energy efficiency and savings. Session VI: Training and Research & Development in RE and EE, The 2nd International Symposium Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency ER2E09, Renewable Energy Development in the Eastern Region of Morocco: Potentials and Prospects, Oujda - Morocco, 26-27 October, 2009, pp 25.
- Lam H. L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J., Regional Renewable Energy and Resource Planning. Special Session: Integrating Waste and Renewable Energy to reduce the Carbon Footprint Locally Integrated Energy Sectors, SEDEWES 09, Dubrovnik, P. 565. (Best Presenter)
- Klemeš J., Lam H.L., Foo D. C. Y., Water Minimisation, Recycling and Recover- Implementation to the Process Industry. Proceedings of Slovenian Chemical Days, September 24, 2009, Maribor, Slovenia, p. 7 (Plenary lecture)
- Lam H. L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J., Friedler F., Regional Biomass Energy Supply Chain Management Strategy: P-Graph Approach. 8th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, WCCE-8, August 23-27, 2009, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, lecture number SUS3/734.
- Klemeš J, Lam H. L., Varbanov P., László Sikos., The role of structured multimedia to improve the PSE teaching impact, EURECHA 2009, Krakow, Poland, Room C –Lecture 1. (Plenary lecture)
- Lam H. L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J., Optimisation of regional energy supply chains ultilising renewables: P-graph approach, ESCAPE 19, 14 – 17 June, Krakow, Poland, Vol (26) 1003 – 1008.
- Lam H. L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J., Regional Resource Management Composite Curve, PRES’ 09, Rome, Italy, ed Jiří Klemeš, Chemical Engineering Transactions, vol. 18 (2009) 303 – 308.
- László Sikos, Klemeš J., Varbanov P., Lam H. L., The role of structured multimedia to improve the teaching impact in process integration, PRES’ 09, Rome, Italy, ed Jiří Klemeš, Chemical Engineering Transactions, vol. 18 (2009) 767 – 772.
- Klemeš J., Lam H. L., Foo D. C. Y., Water Recycling and Recovery, Total Food 2009, Norwich, UK. Plenary Lecture Session 5
- Lam H.L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J., An efficient planning and implementation of regional renewable energy supply chain. PRES 2008, Prague. CHISA 2008 Proceeding (2008)1218 – 1219.
- Lam H.L, Integration of renewable energy sources of energy into energy supply chain, Proceedings of the 6th PhD Mini-Symposium, ed Rozália Pigler-Lakner (2008) 16 - 18
- Lam H.L., Klemeš J., Varbanov P., CO2 Emissions Reduction via a graphical Analysis Method for Renewable Energy Supply Chains. Oral at IFORS 2008, July 13-18, 2008, Sandton, South Africa.
- Lam H.L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J., Development of a Graphical Analysis Method for Renewable Energy Supply Chain. ENERGY FOR SUISTANABLE FUTURE, ed P Varbanov, J Klemeš and I Bulatov, UoP University Library Archives, UoP Press 2008/50, Veszprém, Hungary, ISBN 978-963-9696-38-9. 209 – 218
- Lam H.L., Varbanov P., Klemeš J. (2008), Recent Development and Novel Graphical Methods for CAPE, CAPE, Thesaloniki, Greece, Session 3.
- Lam H.L. and Kamarul A.I, (2003), Introduction of Multivariate Statistical Process Control for Chemical Process Fault Detection and Diagnosis, National Science Fellowship Workshop, 2003, Session 4
- Lam H.L. and Kamarul A.I, (2002), Improved Multivariate Statistical Process Control for Chemical Process Fault Detection and Diagnosis via Outline Analysis Approach, World Engineering Congress, 2002, Chemical and Process Engineering, 39-43.
- Lam H.L. and Kamarul A.I, (2002) Improved Multivariate Statistical Process Control for Chemical Process Fault Detection and Diagnosis via Cross Variable Correlation Coefficient Approach, Regional Symposium on Chemical Engineering, RSCE/SOMChem 2002, Vol. 2, 1637-1644.